A New Chapter for Ashtanga Yoga Dublin
Behind the scenes over the last year, we have been working hard on a complete rebrand for Ashtanga Yoga Dublin, and we are now very happy to announce the launch of our new name and website.
We wanted a name that would bring together both Yoga and Ayurveda and communicate both as a way of life. And so, we welcome you to…
This name represents the essence of who we are and what we do, so click the button below to go to our new website, where you will find that we are still doing everything we used to but much more as well. Just click the button!
9 DAY DETOX BASED ON AYURVEDA
What I love about this detox is that it is so much more than just a physical reset – it provides space for us to clear blocked emotions as well as thought, belief and behavioural patterns that are no longer in our best interests. So if you are feeling stressed, anxious, fatigued, achy, stiff, have digestive issues, crave unhealthy foods, or are not sleeping well, it makes sense to look for the root of the problem. This cleanse provides an opportunity to do just that. It gives you the space to prioritise your health and as many of us are now based at home every day, why not use that time to enhance your well-being?
Our detox is unique in that it offers you support throughout via our initial consultation, simple detox recipes for kitchari and detox tea, a complete detox kit (we provide you with everything you need), online Yoga, Meditation, Breathwork and relaxation classes for 2 weeks, 5 infrared saunas to detox at a very deep level, recommendations to assist you to maintain balance post-detox.
The Detox consists of the following:(Please click on any of the bold headings for more details)
- Components of 9 Day Detox
- Ayurvedic/Detox Consultation
- Five Infra-red Saunas
- Detox Yoga and Breathwork (currently online)
- Detox Food Kit
- Cost of Detox Programme
Ayurveda is the Science or knowledge of Life. The word comes from Ayus meaning life and Veda meaning Knowledge, Science or Wisdom. It is defined by the World Health Organisation as
‘the world’s most ancient, scientific, holistic and complete system of healthcare.’ [WHO]
The wonderful thing about Ayurveda is that it excels in its preventative capacity. It provides us with many ways to maintain our health and strengthen our immunity. If we run into difficulties and get ill, Ayurveda addresses the root of the illness rather than treating only the symptoms.
One of the cornerstones of Ayurveda is detoxing. It is vital to service our cars regularly to keep them running efficiently. Similarly, it makes sense to regularly clear out accumulated toxins from our bodies and minds so that we can experience optimum health and vitality. Ayurveda recommends detoxing at least twice a year, specifically as the season changes, ideally coming into Spring and Autumn. Our bodies have a natural ability to detoxify. Today, however, we are surrounded by more environmental toxins than ever before. In addition, our nervous systems are constantly taxed. This in turn impacts our digestive capacity and when digestion is weakened, our ability to naturally detox is weakened. Toxins can then accumulate – usually in the fat cells but can also lodge in the brain tissue.
Toxins may originate from a variety of sources – for example, chemicals in our skincare and household products, pollutants and heavy metals in the environment, additives and pesticides in our food, medications, etc. Toxins may also originate internally, e.g., stress, negative thoughts and beliefs, emotions such as fear, grief, etc. In Ayurveda, the term Ama is used to describe toxins. If the digestion is in any way compromised, Ama can build within the system, creating blockages that can result in a variety of illnesses and diseases.
Is it time for a detox? If you experience any of the following symptoms, consider detoxing:
- Digestive issues
- Food Cravings
- Hormonal issues
- Swelling and tenderness
- Joint pain/Stiffness
This detox consists of 9 consecutive days in total:
- 3 days preparation where you cut out certain foods and take an infrared sauna
- 3 main days of detoxing (you eat a mono-diet of kitchari and ideally have 3 infrared saunas)
- 3 days when you slowly re-introduce foods and take one more infrared sauna
3 DAYS PREPARATION
- No meat, fish, eggs, dairy, caffeine, sugar, refined/processed foods
- Infra-red sauna to initiate the detox process
3 MAIN DAYS OF DETOXING
- Tongue Scrape (Stainless steel scrapers are available at Ashtanga Yoga Dublin)
- Oil Pull (Using Sesame oil included in your detox food kit)
- Internal oleation with Ghee
- Self-massage with sesame oil (leave on for 20 mins min) followed by a bath/shower
- Self-treatment: Nasya (Medicated oil administered to nostrils- drops provided)
- Gentle yoga postures, breathwork, meditation and relaxation (two of our standard online weekly yoga passes included)
- Infrared saunas
3 DAYS SLOWLY REINTRODUCING REGULAR FOODS
- No meat, fish, eggs, dairy, caffeine, sugar, refined/processed foods, heavy foods
- One more gentle infrared sauna to help remove any residual toxins
DETOX FOOD KIT
Your kit includes all the ingredients you need for your three main days of detoxing.
The goal is to boost your Agni or Digestive strength during this time, as well as reduce Ama (toxins). When we stick to a mono-diet of kitchari for even three days, we give our digestive system a break, which then kindles our Agni and enables our system to burn toxins. A simple recipe is provided to make your kitchari (this is a very nourishing, well balanced meal that is easy on the digestive system. During the three main days of the detox, you will ideally have this meal three times a day. It needs to be made fresh each morning and can then be used for that day. Take the largest portion at lunchtime when your digestion is strongest. If you find this too much, you can substitute organic stewed apple for breakfast instead.)
Ghee is a key component of this detox. In general, it increases Agni but daily internal oleation with increasing doses of ghee (taken first thing on an empty stomach) has the capacity to dissolve fat-soluble toxins and bring them to the alimentary tract for elimination through purgation treatment.
Warm water, herbal teas & detox tea (recipe included in kit) can be sipped during the day.
Detox Kit ingredients:
- Sesame oil (For oil pulling and self-massage)
- Mung Beans
- White Basmati rice (this is used during the detox as it is very easy to digest)
- Mustard seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Ajwain seeds
- Coriander, Cumin and Fennel seed mix (to make detox tea)
- Triphala (Take each night of main detox)
- Nasya drops (You will be instructed on how to do this home treatment)
- Castor oil (Take only on last night of detox – dosage tailored specifically for you)